[Wine] Is it possible to enable a register setting via command line

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jul 15 10:08:37 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 09:15 -0500, yossarianuk wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to add a reg key/string on the
> command line - so that the reg key/string doesn't exist all the time
> just whilst playing a game / wine session?
>
> The reason I ask is because some games work even faster with
>
> DirectDrawRenderer = opengl in
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct 3d
>
> But some don't .
>
> Right now I manually add/remove the reg string when I play a certain
> game/app.

You could also use a separate prefix for each game - the disk space
overheads aren't all that big. This way you can permanently add the
registry entry permanently for the programs that use it and not for
those it harms. As an added bonus you'll no longer run the risk of
screwing one game up while patching/upgrading another.

IMO with separate prefixes its easiest to use a wrapper script to run
each app/game. The script sets the correct prefix, changes to the
appropriate directory, runs the app and exist. You make the script
executable and have the app's menu entry run the script rather than
running the app directly - the latter assumes that all apps are in the
default .wine prefix..

Martin