[Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Jul 15 13:10:15 CDT 2010

  On 7/15/2010 10:14 AM, Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 19:02, Marc Chamberlin<marc at marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:
>> James - Â Thanks for your replies... Â  I have not had any USB issues either,
>> with using my Passport under Linux/Wine until I upgraded to rc7. And then I
>> started experience all sorts of problems... Typically, the drive would mount
>> OK as far as Linux was concerned, then I would use wine to launch to
>> PortableApps control application. That much would "appear" to work fine, but
>> then I would launch the PortableApps version of Thunderbird, Firefox or some
>> other app and soon discover that the Passport drive was no longer writable
>> and act as if it had been mounted somehow as a read-only device. (Not true,
>> it was originally mounted as read/write) That in turn, of course, lead to
>> these apps crashing and locking up the drive. I would have to kill the
>> processes at that point, and it was at this point I discovered that the
>> Passport file system had become corrupted. Dropping back to an earlier
>> version of wine has resolved this and my Passport is again working fine.
>> Therefore I must disagree with you as the evidence seems to strongly
>> indicate this is a wine issue and not a Linux one...
> Is the drive still actually writable under Linux directly?
>
> I have a 80GB (internal IDE) drive (with an ext3 partition) that
> sometimes stop being writeable (from native applications) until I
> reboot... (It seem to not happen since I upgraded to a new version of
> Ubuntu)
>
> The corruption also should not be possible to be done by Wine..
> (nothing run as a non-root user should be able to corrupt a
> filesystem...)
>
> It might be that the way files are handled under Win changed between
> the two version that might trigger a bug elsewhere? Finding which
> change caused this is where a regression test would be handy... (For
> something that takes long to test like this issue apparently it is
> quite frustrating...)
>
> Gert

Thanks Gert for your thoughts! No, once the drive changed states to
being read-only, after running my wine apps, the only recourse I have to
getting it going again is to reboot. I cannot dismount the drive as
Linux continues to believe some process is using it, even though I have
killed all the PortableApps processes and stopped the wine server
itself. It is interesting to note that whenever I get into trouble with
using the Passport drive,  even the Linux system itself cannot dismount
the drive during its shutdown process. Which is really surprising since
dismounting all drives is one of the last things that happens, after all
other system and user processes have been terminated!

    Marc..