[Wine] shared .wine directory?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 21:04:41 CDT 2010

graysky wrote:

>> Is it possible to have a shared .wine directory?  I have office 2007 on my machine and wish to have it accessible for three users without the need to install three copies of it.
>>

> ..can't edit my post!
>
> I was going to add: should I just ln -s /path/to/.wine/c_drive?Program_files/Office in the other two user's path or...?

I'll give the same answer that I give everytime.  One, there is an
article in the Wine FAQ that addresses this.  Two:  Yes it is possible,
but you don't want to do this because of possible registry corruption
issues.  This is being investigated, but I will state that with the
exception of server products (which usually Office is not installed on),
Windows is a single user interface (although it can and does allow
multiple users to log onto the system.)  Linux is quite different, it is
designed from the get go to be used by multiple users.   Thus, you run
into the problem of installing software multiple times, once for each
valid user (that is a user with a shell login that is not privileged.)
This is a shortcoming of Windows, not of Linux.

For now, you will have to install each program for each user, separately.

James McKenzie