[Wine] Native libpq.so instead of libpq.dll?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 09:48:16 CDT 2010

Cigydd <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>vitamin wrote:
>>
>> Cigydd wrote:
>> > OK, so then what's the principial difference?
>>
>> Do you know the difference between file descriptor and a handle? If not, then there is no point in answering that question.
>
>And I fear there's no point in continuing this discussion.

I've been like the fly on the wall, watching this discussion.  Vitamin is correct in his statement.  However, I will chime in with this:  Wine is a psuedo-Windows environment with no current methodology to do what you are asking, that is directly access a dynamic library in the Linux/UNIX environment.  However, if you are willing to rebuild your application, then you might want to look into using Winelib.  However, this may not give you access from a Windows application to the functions and calls of a native Linux/UNIX file.  What we do is provide an interface between what looks like a UNIX/Linux dynamic library (.dll.so file) and the Windows32/Windows64 API.

So, without alot of modification, Windows programs do not and cannot access Linux files directly.  If you are working with a pure .NET application, you might want to look at using Mono to build your program.  Since I'm not versed in Mono, you would have to ask if it is possible to do what you desire with their product in their forums.

James McKenzie