[Wine] Native libpq.so instead of libpq.dll?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 11:07:38 CDT 2010

Cigydd <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Jul 20, 2010 8:27 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Re: Native libpq.so instead of libpq.dll?
>
>To be more specific on my cause, the application that I originally wanted to use the libpq.so is developed in Delphi 5 for Win32. So it would be too much work to port it to .NET/Mono.
>My original question if it is possible to use native Linux libraries via Wine was clearly answered: No, it isn't possible because of different API and ABI.
>If we decide to port it to Linux, the best solution is probably FreePascal and Lazarus IDE. That's cross-platform based and the Object Pascal dialects in Delphi and Lazarus are quite compatible. The ported application will then use native Linux libraries :-)
>In the meantime, we'll try to run our application under Wine on Linux, using the Win32 versions of the libraries.

Thank you.  Thus you do have a 'way forward' and thank you for supporting Linux as well as UNIX.

>I already found a small bug so look forward for it.

Please also update the Applications Database.  This will help those who develop using Delphi to avoid problem areas.

>Thank the whole Wine team for such a great project.

You are welcome.  Although I don't speak for the entire project, it has been a pleasurable discussion, a bit heated at times, but overall we came to a conclusion that works for the both of us and will help the project as well as you move forward.

James McKenzie