[Wine] Wine Ubuntu 10.04 Eve Online freeze crash whole system

Bampfsnap wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 20 17:02:22 CDT 2010

[background]

I had Ubuntu 10.04 loaded from a CD. CD failed to directly install, instead required that I go into the live session from the CD and then install.

Loaded eve online with all those funny command codes you never see in windows like PPA:wine-somethingorother, and put in winetricks as well.

used winetricks to install core fonts and d3dx9 set to opengl orm = backbuffer and all that stuff.
installed eve online.

Eve online started, but had a grayscaling or solid color overriding textures and details. so planets were straight 00ffxb blue or whatever. there was no difference across planets and space stations were black. I got advice that it was from not installing the video card driver.

HD 4200 integrated. installed the drivers from ubuntu system tab and then everything looked fine on the front page. Only now the avatar faces looked messed up, like grayscale polygonal faces from some 1980's movie.

Ironically, the first time installing eve, space was blackness but I could actually go from solar system to solar system via the gates.

After installing the drivers, I got better picture but freezes that crashed the whole computer. needed my reset button on my case to get out of it. Maybe it reset the openGL option or something?

uninstalled ubuntu to undo the changes to wine and winetricks since I couldnt get it purged from the system, and I don't know how to reset it back to defaults.

switched HDD to native IDE from AHCI to install win XP, since I know I can play on win XP without even service pack 2. Didnt know win XP wouldnt have the integrated LAN drivers of any generic kind that would work for it, so switched back to AHCI (not sure if AHCI is useful for anything over IDE, like faster m/bs transfer).

reinstalled ubuntu, reinstalled  drivers for vid card first, I dont know if that matters, wine via the system tab for more software instead of with terminal coding and then winetricks to get to set for openGL.

game runs like it did on my Macbook pro with integrated X1600 radeon, only maybe a little less FPS, like 10 less.

Cant jump through gates. it crashes eve and when I reopen wine to play again, it has a 50/50 chance of crashing all of wine and my computer to require the reset button on the comp case again.

installed only openGL and corefonts.

this is a similar problem that happened every so often in Cedega or whatever it is that runs on Macs and comes with the OS package. only in Cedega it was more like you might get 10 jumps in, you might get 100, but the crash isn't relable.

here it crashes every time. cant escape system.

also, when playing, the splash screen comes up, then the game comes up. but if I mouse over tabs in firefox or type single letters in any application outside of wine, the wine screen flickers and I see the splash screen behind my game, as if there's a frozen eve client in the background.

[/background]

How do I fix the crashing?
Someone thought my install disc might be corrupt, could that be true, and cvould that cause these problems?
Why does a splash screen show behind my game, while my game goes invisible for a split second, when I move the mouse cursor on firefox tabs or type in an app outside wine? does that indicate a problem?
Does it matter what order I install drivers and Wine and Winetricks in? Will it cause irreversible effects that cant be wiped clean of the system without reinstalling ubuntu?

I needed my ethernet driver to get online with win XP. Im tempted to just use this chance that ubuntu is reinstalled to get drivers from the motherboard manufacturer for SATA RAID, LAN, and VGA and go back to win XP so I can stop messing with this hassle.