[Wine] App asks for multiple back buffers, but

A Nonny Moose wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 25 13:32:06 CDT 2010

Seems wine isn't there yet.  I think it only allocates one buffer, and my debug output indicates this is causing a problem.  I got 15,000+ lines of output, and I am sure we don't want to put them on this database.  However, here are the last few lines:

err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface IWineD3DDevice::CreateSurface failed. hr = 8876017c
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface failed with 8876017c
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
err:d3d_shader:arbfp_blit_unset >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glDisable(GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB) @ arb_program_shader.c / 7054
err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface IWineD3DDevice::CreateSurface failed. hr = 8876017c
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface failed with 8876017c
err:d3d_shader:arbfp_blit_unset >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glDisable(GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB) @ arb_program_shader.c / 7054

The running program is SimCity 4 Rush Hour with all updates.  This is an example of the graphics going haywire.  WINEDEBUG was set to warn+heap because I was suspicious that heap space was the problem.  The program running this particular tile goes wild for its graphical output, now, in less than five minutes of play.  Symptoms are bad dialogue boxes, blank dialogue boxes, random garbage graphics.

What I think is happening is that when heap allocation is refused, the graphics drivers get stepped on, and the graphics in the frame buffer(s) become corrupt.  I get RGBK garbage all over my screen at random, in squares showing one colour in each quadrant.  This is an indication of a memory management problem or perhaps a problem with the page tables.  It could also be associated with the fact that this program wants as many buffers as it can get, and expects to get more than one or two.

Is there any way to convince the system to give a program up to, say, 10 buffers?