[Wine] Running WINE on VPS

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 23:01:27 CDT 2010

jeffz wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> dadada wrote:
>>

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Id like to know how to setup up WINE on my VPS step by step?
>>> OS : Ubuntu 10.04 32BIT
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get install xorg
>>> sudo apt-get install wine
>>> winecfg - then message pops out  - Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
>>>

>> You have to startx before installing Wine.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> Either that or as the message says "make sure that $DISPALY is set correctly".  You can specify a remove X server, perhaps running on your local machine.

export DISPLAY=:10.0

Will set the DISPLAY variable to the tenth screen on the localhost.

Most of the time, I use screen 0 so the following does work in Linux:
export DISPLAY=:0.0

On a Mac running Leopard or later you will have to detect the Display
and then echo it out.  (This is just a generic comment for searches.)

James McKenzie