[Wine] Antivirus for Mac Wine?

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Wed Jul 28 00:18:45 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:18, LambdaEnt <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Ok, all that is wonderful, thank you. You addressed the individual issues, but never really answered the main question. While I sincerely appreciate your input, I would like someone to please address the purpose and focus of this topic. Let me then rephrase it:
>
> What are the realistic requirements/needs for antivirus/antispyware when running WINE on a Mac?

Protecting the host OS should work, as long as the antivirus protects
against Windows viruses as well...

Wine should be safer (than a full Windows), mostly because it is not
running all the time and Windows security vulnrabilities (application
vulrabilities might affect it though) are unlikely to directly affect
it...  (Although Macro viruses, etc still pose the same risks as
Windows if you primarily use say, Office under Wine) Using IE (or
another browser) / Installing random stuff from the internet in Wine
makes it significantly less safe...

Risk might be slightly less than a VM, mostly because several risky
Windows components is not present, such as file and printer sharing.

Gert