[Wine] Unusual hard problem, WoW won't start!

frostig wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 29 07:13:29 CDT 2010

Hi,

I have a kind of annoying and what it seems like unusual problem while trying to play the game World of Warcraft. I think I have done everything that people have recommended others to try out, have been googling around for some hours now.

My graphic card is: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740] and I have installed the drivers for it. The funny thing is that my brother uses the exact same graphic card and for him it worked out of the box, we even installed ubuntu from the exact same CD.

Can it be anything else in my hardware maybe that changes from his?

The output by running Wow.exe is the following (or after some motherboard changes about pipelines being enabled in the PCIE section it wont even load that much!):

Code:
archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\patch.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB-2.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB-3.MPQ opened
archive Data\patch-2.MPQ opened
archive Data\patch-3.MPQ opened
archive Data\expansion.MPQ opened
archive Data\lichking.MPQ opened
archive Data\common.MPQ opened
archive Data\common-2.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\speech-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\expansion-locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\lichking-locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\expansion-speech-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\lichking-speech-enGB.MPQ opened
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x192ee20,0x00000000), stub!

And there it stops, it starts a process named Wow.exe and doesn't do anything more.

Code:
2382 ?        00:00:02 WoW.exe

This is incredible annoying. What follows now is a list of things that I've tried (in no particular order):

- Disabling Compiz
- Changing the xorg.conf
- Enabling openGL mode for wow, and everything else that should contain in the config.wtf to run smoothly.
- Made that regedit fix.
- Crying out loud and get angry
- Updating wine to developer version
- and a lot more I cant remember, even did unplug the ethernet cable.. and now I'm probably going to reinstall the ****ing piece of crap and see if it's gonna work. (I wonder why blizzard didn't release a native linux client (they had one in the beta atleast..)).

This is my xorg-config (yes its changed but the default didn't work either):

Code:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Virtual	3200 1080
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"glx"
EndSection

 Section "Device"
   Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
   Driver      "fglrx"
   Option       "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
   Option       "UseFastTLS" "off"
   Option       "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
 EndSection

This is a new clean install of ubuntu and I can't get this working. The thing is everything else works, I run spotify over wine (music streaming application). Althrough steam seems to not be able to update itself everything else seems to work.

I really don't want to run windows and I'm getting really annoyed at these small problems you have every time you want to change system for good. Right now, if I got this to work I would never need a windows system and my world would be saved!

Btw, one of my screens seems to flicker a bit when starting it.. :O

Peace,
Frostig.