[Wine] Multiple instances of wine on different machines with $HOME on NFS

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 31 21:35:51 CDT 2010

Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're running wine on a number of Linux machines
> which get their $HOME via a NFS server.
>
> In particular, we have a windows commandline program
> (a data format converter for mass spectrometers, not that it matters)
> things work fine as long as I am running only one instance of wine.
>
> If I have several wine instances on different boxes
> running in parallel, they seem to corrupt the registry.

Known bug.  You are using and modifying the same registry file no matter
where the users are connecting from.

You will have to install Wine on each user's machine and then install
the applications there (much like you would in Windows).

Then you can use something like Samba to connect to the central server
for file services.

The above is outside the Wine project.

Using winecfg you can map the Samba mount point to a Wine drive.

James McKenzie