[Wine] Spore fails to run on new Wine versions, plus fglrx issues

NihilistMatt wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 4 19:01:03 CDT 2010

Hi,

While running Spore (steam version) on 1.1.42 with a GeForce 8600GT on Arch Linux x86-64, everything worked fine except for occasional DxDllReg.exe crashes.

I have since replaced the card with an ATi Radeon HD4800 and the user interface now unbearably flickers, garbles (inflated bits of text and other UI elements appearing randomly) and generally looks far from correct (to the point where I can't see the graphics options to try changing things).

The console output is full of GLSL fun:

Code:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #1:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log     Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) linked.

I had heard previously about wine not supporting fglrx well, but assumed that most of the problems had been fixed/disappeared. I can't afford to upgrade to a new nVidia card, so was trying the ATi one to see if I could get increased framerate in Spore (go figure).

In addition, on both cards, trying to run Spore on versions 1.1.44 and 1.2-rc1 (haven't tested 1.2-rc2, Arch doesn't support Wine so package updates are incredibly slow) causes Spore to not run at all, with

Code:
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000001d flags 0 addr 0x7ee302a0

appearing when I try to run it from Steam. (Trying to run from outside Steam does not work).