[Wine] Using WMP without windows license?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 22:41:16 CDT 2010

dimesio wrote:
> jackshiels wrote:
>
>> Is this allowed? I see that on the microsoft site you can download it fairly easily... Is it illegal for me to use the winetricks version of WMP without a windows license?
>>

> Disclaimer: IANAL.
>
> The WMP EULA says you need a Windows license. Whether the EULA is enforceable depends on where you live. The EU, I believe, has struck them down.

This is true.  It depends on where you live and how much Microsoft is
willing to go after you.  If you are a large business, they will.  If
you are a stand-alone user, you probably are safe.  However, advocating
that the EULA is not enforceable is bad practice.  The WINDOWS EULA was
struck down by the EU courts, but not all of Microsoft's EULAs were.

James McKenzie