[Wine] Re: EA Download Manager

motub wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 6 15:58:16 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> If your fix works, please add it to the 'broken' Applications Database entry.

I, for my part, was planning to add entries for version 5.0.0.255 (bronze) and 6.0.4.10 (garbage) of the EADM to the AppDB, since the (unspecified) version reported as garbage is for Wine 1.1.35, and Wine has made great strides since then. I mean, heck, when I installed TS3 under 1.0.43, you couldn't get the Sims3Launcher to work for love nor money, but under 1.2-rc2 it started right up, with the EADM loading properly (as long as it's v. 5.0.255).

I admit, though, I hadn't even thought about the digital download issue-- certainly I hadn't expected that EA would be so annoying as to make the user download the game they just bought via their own download manager, making it even harder to somehow preserve the item you bought. OK, so a digital download is already more ephemeral than a physical DVD, and now you can't even have the download file itself; now it goes to the EADM cache (which the average user won't know where that is), from which the EADM presumably installs it, distancing the buyer even more from the product they've bought.

Yeah, Steam works the same way, but Steam's been around for years now, and has worked hard to earn our trust. I'm not filled with enthusiasm by EA's attempt to horn in on that market.....

... but anyway, my entries into the AppDB will have to wait till tomorrow (Monday), but they'll get there (when approved).

Thanks for your encouragement to Cleveland Rock, James McKenzie, and thank you, Cleveland Rock, for pitching in to help test the workaround and help Wine and other users like yourself!

Holly