[Wine] Re: Trying to Get EMBIRD32 Working Under Wine

oldefoxx wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 6 21:22:42 CDT 2010

Alright.  I copied the EMBIRD32 folder from the Windows client over to /hom/oldefoxx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/. I mean I did not plqn to put it precisely there, but that is where it ended up.  I planned to just leave it in drive_c, but I guess drive_c became c: on its own.  Something strange there.

Anyway, the extracted version of Embrd800.exe is named embird.exe, so I tried wine emgird.exe to see what would happen.  I got this error message back:

Application Error
ExceptionEExternalException in module ntdll.dll at 0002E9E8.
External Exception C0000025.

Now I happen to know as tha updates and Service Packs were added to Windows, some functionality was add that had been missing before.  I guess the first idea was to work it into XP, but with XP and 2000 so much alike, maybe by a bit of rework on 2000 meant it could be used there as well, if all the updates were in place.  But wine is not really windows, and if something was left or or never added in, it cold mean something that can run under 2000 but not under a wine embulator,

Something I've never liked about Windows is that messages that uou get when you have a Blue Screen of Death works fine for a behind the scenes developer, but is really inappropriate for users to deal with.  To me, that just meant that Microsoft pushed products to market without doing much to help the users out.  May have been necessary, because RAM and disk storage space was a premium, but for the kernel to just die with an error message like that?  They could not figure some way to just work around whatever caused it instead of crashing?  I never liked that about Windows.  Linux may not be the absolute best, but it really does work to get you up and running with something going on your end.

So maybe the question should be, what is missing from the ntdl,dll module and what can be done about it?  And I heard it said that wine can benefit from actually using real Windows modules in place of some of the ones that just emulate the Windows' version.  How would you go about doinf that?
It would not hurt to see if the real version will fly at this point.