[Wine] nothing will work now

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 15:39:17 CDT 2010

nww02 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote at Jun 10, 2010 1:30 PM

>James Mckenzie wrote:
>>
>> What happens when you try to run the 'broken' applications from a terminal session?
>>

>Hi There,
>   Well, a variety of things, mostly video related. Before I start, let me just say
>that on this machine I have successfully got Directx9.0c installed. dxdiag runs, and
>DirectX games run just fine..  All under Wine 1.0.  All these errors are found after
>doing the exact same process to install Dx9 in Wine 1.2
>
>DXSETUP.exe:  Direct X just dies with an error "DirectX is already at a higher level".
>When deleting lots of DLLs, it crashes halfway through the install with an "Unknown
>exception".

Did you do what I asked?  Apparently not.  I wanted you to run the programs from a terminal session and provide a log file back to us so we could provide further assistance.  Windows does this naturally, and this is a 'to do' project for Wine.  However, the process is described in the Wine FAQ on how to run a program in a terminal session and to produce a log file.  Upload the log file to a site like pastebin.com and then provide us with the URL.

Also, PLEASE INSTALL TO A FRESH WINE PREFIX.  There are many, many changes between Wine 1.0.1 and 1.2-rc2 that cause things to break if you attempt to use an old wine prefix with the new wine (sort of what happens when you put new wine in an old wineskin, it bursts, believe me.)

Please do run the programs and create log files so we can look at them.

Thank you.

James McKenzie