[Wine] program in Wine doesnt see SATA solid state drive

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Jun 12 18:18:38 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 21:49, patch <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I have a 50 gig OCZ Vertex LE drive that needs a firmware update.
>
> When I run the Windows only flash program in wine it doesnt see the SATA ssd drive it needs to flash.

Wine under root after playing a lot with the permissions (using a
special wrapper to run Wine with those permissions) might MAYBE have a
chance to work... You will probably need enough permissions to allow
it to do some really, really nasty things (If it doesn't confict with
the Linux kernel/take out the drive due to a crash / accidentally
break a different drive...).... (Full direct IO access and some more
MIGHT work, if it uses direct assembly to talk to the drive and \not
some kind of driver... It might also result in a Wine bug destroying
hardware (by say flashing your BIOS))

> please help as I refuse to use windows natively or in Vbox and I need to be able to upgrade firmware on this drive!

Stop buying hardware that doesn't work properly if you do not have
Windows. (If you are bored and live in the right country you might be
able to force at least a refund with the help of consumer protection
legislation and a lawyer) If you do buy Windows-only hardware, do not
complain if it requires Windows to run....