[Wine] Poor performance while drawing text input fields and buttons

AmoxT wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 16 04:59:04 CDT 2010

Poor performance while drawing text input fields and buttons with GDI commands using winex11.drv

Hello,
   I have noticed that an application compiled under wnidows that makes extensive use of GDI
drawing commands, even when it is run in the latest 1.2rc3 vesion of wine, shows a slow down
while drawing a window with a lot of buttons and text input fields.

I have tried to do verbose debug of the application with the command"WINEDEBUG=+relay wine App.exe"
and the result was that I saw a huge amount of ntdll.RtlEnterCriticalSection() and
ntdll.RtlLeaveCriticalSection(). These calls were made while drawing the graphical elements, so I
have commented out the following rows in the file winex11.drv/x11drv_main.c:

void CDECL wine_tsx11_lock(void)
{
  // EnterCriticalSection( &X11DRV_CritSection );
}

void CDECL wine_tsx11_unlock(void)
{
   // LeaveCriticalSection( &X11DRV_CritSection );
}

After this I have compiled and installed wine 1.2rc3 and I am going to test the drawing
performance of App.exe with this modified version of wine. Is this a good solution or maybe there
are other solutions that I should try in order to speed-up the drawing of buttons and text input
fields with winex11.drv?

Thanks in advance,

Amox