[Wine] Nokia PC suit running under wine rc3

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Jun 17 06:23:54 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 07:11, abhifx <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Cr0k wrote:
>> My answer r is not related to wine (sorry :/) but on the Internet some pepole say that in a virtual machine (i.e. VirtualBox) it works.. Did you try it ?
>

> i have read that too. this means installing windows on a virtual machine. i don't want to do that either. but the point is that, if virtual machine can recognize my phone/usb cable.... then wine should too? (i know wine is not an emulator) but still can should recognise the usb device?

If Linux detects a USB to serial device, you might have some luck...
(bluetooth as well, if it uses the serial port interface)

Have a look at /dev/*tty* and create a symlink for the relevant device
to ~/.wine/dosdevices (this should really be in the FAQ...). PC suite
might need to be configured for serial cable on the relevant com
port...

(This assumes you want to use PC Suite to do something on the phone,
such as sync it with your not-yet-working-under-Wine Outlook, copy
photo's, not using it for internet...)

Virtualbox etc, allows the guest OS full USB access to the device...
This allows the Windows driver to run and talk to the phone... Wine
might eventually expose the device's Linux driver in a way that
Windows applications expect it... (and/or implement support for
Windows USB drivers under Wine, have a look at
http://wiki.winehq.org/USB) (wrapping Linux drivers to work under
Wine, will work for things with a well-defined API, such as bluetooth,
probably not for vendor specific drivers exposing its own interface)

Gert