[Wine] Keyboard focus in 'some' wine apps (games)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 19 19:08:12 CDT 2010

ngoonee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed, now that I'm using twinview, that when I click any other window outside of the Wine desktop (Civ4 or WCIII normally), I can click back to the Wine desktop but can no longer use any of the keyboard shortcuts. Things work fine before actually clicking outside the wine window (for example, on my Pidgin chat window).
>
> This happens whether the app is run in windowed mode or fullscreen. Another app (e-sword) works just fine, I can type into it, switch to another app, switch back, no problem.

Interesting.  Can you use any of the keyboard shortcuts (other than
Print Preview) in e-sword after switching windows?  I'm certain that I
could, but I'm using a Mac....

BTW, I'm one of the maintainers of the e-sword program and would like to
solicit a review and posting in the Applications Database, after we look
well into this problem.

Also, compiz is not a windows manager, per se.  It provides enhancements
that a true windows manager does not and resides on top of either KDE or
Gnome to make it 'look better'.

Can you do the following:

Run Civ4 from a terminal session with logging turned on per the FAQ item.

Switch windows.

Switch back.

Try to use a keyboard shortcut.

Advise if there are new error messages.

I realize this may be a lengthy process and you are free to post the
error log on pastebin.com or a similar site and post back the URL here.

James McKenzie