[Wine] Can I replace my Windows install with Wine, on my hardware?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 09:29:16 CDT 2010

achalmers <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Last week I gave it a go on a couple of the Harry Potter Series of games. Unfortunately
>although I can get "Goblet of fire" to run I get no graphics, just a black screen ( I
>can tell it's running because I get the audio) an lot and lots of warning and errors
>about GL functions mainly. many references to "fixme".

Can you create a logging file and post it on a site like pastebin.com?

The Wine FAQ has the procedures on how to create the logging file.

>It seems I'm one of those unfortunates to have an ATI video controller (Radeon X1200 or
>X1250) which ATI no longer support with their fglrx Linux Drivers. I therefore use the
>recommended open source drivers (not much choice really).

What version of the Catalyst drivers are you using?  Version 10.6 is reported to be much better than version 10.5.

>There a lot of comments/discussion on the net about issues with wine and the fglrx
>drivers and ATI controllers, and various tweaks and configuration settings that people
>have use to fix various issues. Unfortunately none of it seems to relate directly to
>the ATI controller I have. I've even tried a few things but no luck.

You might also want to look at the Applications Database for further hints/tricks.

>The questions I'd like to ask are: is it worth my time continuing to pursue it? Does
>anyone believe that a solution (and not one that involves a downgrade) is actually out
>there in the immediate future? Or if I really want to play my windows games under
>Linux, would I be better off buying a new laptop with an Nvidia video Controller?

This is an option.  However, you might also want to try the trial version of CrossOver Linux for Games as well.  Yes, it is commercial software, but is is a lot less expensive than a full blown system upgrade (unless that is really what you want to do.)

James McKenzie