[Wine] Problem playing Warcraft III (directx)

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Jun 23 19:54:59 CDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:40 PM, augusto2131 wrote:

> Hi. I found out about Wine 2 days ago. So, my goal is to play Warcraft III through Garena with Wine on my Mac. I installed Garena, and it works ok so far. But I cant initialize Warcraft III, I get this message: "Warcraft was unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display drivers are current."
> I already installed d3dx9 and directx9 with winetricks but still no luck =/
Don't. You shouldn't need either of them. (It's a DX8 app, after all.) You've probably trashed your Wine prefix at this point, so just do:

$ rm -rf $HOME/.wine

from Terminal and install Garena and War3 again.
> Is it possible that the display drivers should be updated IN wine?
No. Wine depends on your system to provide display services.
> Anyone knows what should I do?
Yeah... Complain to the developers of Garena and demand a Mac port. :) Then you don't have to mess with Wine, because War3 itself runs natively on Mac OS.

But seriously, where did you get Wine? Did you build it yourself, or are you using a binary distribution like Wineskin or WineBottler? If you built it yourself, you need to make sure you built with OpenGL support, or no 3D apps are going to work. The configure script tells you if you're missing stuff like this. You might have to tell it to look in the right place (see http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building ).

Remember that you need to have X11 installed to run Wine at all (for now). I recommend the far superior builds from http://xquartz.macosforge.net/ . Also remember that X11 on Mac doesn't know how to change the display resolution, so you have to run War3 in a virtual desktop.

Chip