[Wine] Raw USB mass storage device access

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Jun 27 07:23:09 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 14:09 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 13:48, Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
> >> (Probably no partitions that can be mounted though, since he itendes to access the
> >> disk, not a filesystem on top if it?)
> >>
> > I'd be quite surprised if a program running in normal user space, i.e.
> > not as root, can do that.
> >
> Possibly after some 'sudo chmod oga+w /dev/sda' kind of commands?

In my system (Fedora 12) both the disk and its partitions are owned by
root and are in the disk group with ug+rw permissions, so the simplest
solution may be to add the user, where wine is run, to the disk group.

This applies to both the internal disk and a USB mass storage device. I
just plugged a key-fob camera, which uses a micro-SD card to store
images, into this laptop to check:

Martin