[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:46:36 CST 2010

> Get compatability right! Focus on getting all applications to work! Focus on compatibility first!

That is almost, but not quite, what we do. Wine is focused on being as
similar to Windows as possible, in ways that real apps depend on. The
vast majority of functional changes are not about performance but
about making Wine behave more like Windows.

Often, though, those changes will break some app. Most changes that
cause regressions are a step in the right direction but are somehow
incomplete or expose a bug elsewhere.

When that happens, we can't just revert the change. We have to figure
out what the real problem is, whether it's in the patch that caused
the regression or not, and solve it. That means that in the short
term, apps suffer, but in the long term Wine gets better.

The policy of not adding hacks is more questionable. There are good
arguments on either side. I just accept that this is the policy and
only bother to write things that I think may be accepted.

As for firefox, may I ask which bug you're referring to?

It is probably true that bugzilla is not very responsive. Reporting a
bug doesn't mean you'll see progress in any reasonable amount of time.
We simply do not have enough developers spending enough time on the
project to give each bug the attention it deserves. (But you'll see a
lot of responses from people like Austin English who aren't really
working on the bugs but are trying to keep bugzilla tidy for the rest
of us.) Still, bugzilla is where developers look for things to work
on. If it's not there, no one is likely to fix it.