[Wine] Problems with the Java cirtual machine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 2 09:00:58 CST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 08:29 -0600, chamanx64 wrote:
> last time you asked for a SSCE and here i got you one:
>
> public class test {
> 	public static void main(String[] args) {
> 		System.out.println("Hello world");
> 	}
> }
>
> Nothing more simple! now then lets run it:
>
> germanr at germanr:~/Desktop/test$ wine java.exe test
> Hello world
> germanr at germanr:~/Desktop/test$ wine java.exe -Xmx512M test
> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Remind me how much RAM you have and how big your swap partition or swap
file is. I see the mailing list, not the forum and don't keep old mails
from the list.

It would be useful to know how big you can set -Xmx before it fails to
initialise and also post the results of running 'java -version'

By comparison, I have 1GB RAM and a 2GB swap partition. Using a native
Linux JVM (Sun 32 bit, version 1.6_0_17) My SSCE initialises ok with
-Xmx2500m.

My SSCE that creates an adjustable sized array and fills it with
objects, each containing a 1MB char array. You may have seen an early
version. The final version lets me create the objects but with the
options of not initialising the array, initialising but not filling it,
or initialising and filling it.

This is along the lines of what I expected you to write. Your SSCE
doesn't actually demonstrate your problem because it merely fails to
initialise: IIRC you were getting OutOfMemory exceptions and that's what
you need to demonstrate. Your SSCE should contain code that carries out
a simplified version of the initialisation that's failing in your
original program.

My SSCE shows the following behavior. With -Xmx set to 2300m or less
this throws an OutOfMemory exception when the total size of created
objects is a little smaller than RAM. OTOH with -Xmx set to 2500m it
crashes with a simple 'Killed' message when all swap space and RAM has
been filled - obviously with OS and other programs as well as the SSCE.

Martin