[Wine] powerpoint is just blank

roderakker wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 4 02:27:25 CST 2010

hey guys, hows it going?

i'm kind of a beginner when it comes to the entire Linux and Wine thing, which is why i chose this as my assignment for college, as opposed to working in windows.

my project is to create a presentation terminal in which i can simply play .ppt presentations, with all their features such as video & sound as opposed to just a slideshow.

now, if i install powerpoint viewer from the adept packet manager, i can play a slideshow just fine, but like i said this is not what i was looking for as it lacks support for video & sound.

so i decided to reinstall kubuntu 9.10, and use this guide: http://samanathon.com/how-to-install-microsoft-office-2007-in-ubuntu-9-04/
i did everything exactly how it has been explained in this tutorial, and got powerpoint running just fine, but when i open a presentation i made to test functionality, i get a blank page.

screenshot: http://i47.tinypic.com/120rszk.png (a little to big to embed into this page)

as you can see it's just an empty, blank document, but i had actually created a simple presentation, with about 5 pages, a video on the 3rd page, sound on the 4th, images on the 5th and a nice background throughout the entire document... howcome this doesn't work, and what would be a good way to fix it?

i have no problems reinstalling kubuntu, if this is necesary.
excuse my newby-ness!

Thanks in advance,
roderakker