[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:21:17 CST 2010

On 4 March 2010 22:14, Scott <drmemory at 3rivers.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:57:48PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:

>> Providing as much detail about a failing app as possible in a bug
>> report can be useful, though. It might be something simple, it mihgt
>> be something huge.

> Okay, well, where do I begin? I already told what I observed; that the
> app starts up, allows me to select a client to work on, lets me go in
> to one tax form, make changes (which *are* saved to the master file
> residing on the server) and then just freezes up. Is there some sort
> of error log somewhere which I need to send along? How can I know what
> is happening under the hood? It is frustrating that the app is so
> close to actually working; if it were just crashing and burning at the
> outset, I'd just walk away gnashing my teeth and cursing Bill Gates.

Running it from a terminal can provide useful clues, per:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

You start a terminal and do something like:

 cd '.wine/drive_c/Games/Tron'
 wine tron.exe

Even on apps that work well, this will likely spew a *whole pile* of
rubbish. But that's fine!

You can probably ignore any lines starting "FIXME:" - those are
generally just notes to developers that something wasn't written
perfectly.

The bit that will be of interest is whatever happens at the end, when
it actually crashes.

So - run your program from a terminal, and post the output here. Maybe
just the last 20-30 lines if it's spewing a *lot* of stuff :-)

- d.