[Wine] New Wine user on OS X - Installer problems.

Carbonyl wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 5 15:18:43 CST 2010

Hi everyone.

First, sorry if I come off as pretty greenback about this entire episode. I'll admit that I'm not exactly a power user, and that I should probably RTFM or whatever, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this latest problem.  I made a stupid error, and I don't know how to fix it. I'm hoping that I might get a bit of assistance, as I would be most appreciative of any and all help anyone might afford.

In the way of background: I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and have installed and run Wine through the Wine/Winebottler combo that can be found  here  (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/). It was stupid easy to install, so a stupid like me could install it easy - Just drag and drop.

I had some real fun and luck installing a variety of older games and programs. Then I decided to install Fable: The Lost Chapters. The installation failed, so I followed the instructions on  the WineHQ page  (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3827) , including copying the disks to the HDD. It still failed. Near the bottom of that other page, there's a suggestion to delete some files and registry keys regarding the Windows Installer, which I followed.

I must have done something wrong, because now I've completely munged up the Installer in total. I can't get any installer to even launch, because instead I get a "Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time" error, which is less far than I've gotten in the past. Attempts to reinstall or repair the installer as per microsoft instructions online have failed. Trying to install the v3 results in a "path not found" error, and some bizarre log gibberish I'm not familiar with.

At this point I could give a rot about Fable, but I've totally ruined the Installer process for just about anything else. Can anyone please give some advice about how I could best go about repairing this, or else where to start, or look, to do so? Thanks very much for your patience.