[Wine] What incredible cruft ...?

BeartoothHOS beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 14:09:47 CST 2010

	What incredible cruft have I accumulated?

	I'm running wine-1.1.38-1.fc12.i686 under Fedora 12 on three PCs
and two laptops, some of whose predecessors go all the way back to RedHat7
and whatever wine it had.

	I do so, and have done, solely in order to run certain suites of
proprietary map software in conjunction with Garmin GPSs, which I find
substantially more user friendly, alas!, than any of the umpteen linux-
native alternatives that I've been checking out every couple of years
since 1998. (I don't take wine online at all, except for occasionally
trying to get Garmin's webupdater to work.)

	For years I couldn't install these suites, not under wine nor yet
under crossover office; then they began to install but not launch, or
launch but not run. Nowadays two of the four suites I have (Garmin's own,
and one from what was Maptech when I got it)  do launch and even run
normally. (The ones that don't are from Delorme and National Geographic.)

	It is still a toss-up whether a given install on a given machine
will actually talk to any GPS on a given day, though the odds are
distinctly better with the PCs than with the laptops.

	Once wine could at least launch the two suites, and especially
since it first became able, however spottily, to talk to my GPSs, I began
including it among the things I routinely copy back and forth between
machines whenever I do a fresh install. The waypoints I already have, if
only by copying them from some older install, are of considerable use.

	So some things may well have gotten copied and recopied, and not
always to the same location as they should have. But matters seem now
to've gotten out of hand.

	A look at the Properties for /home/btth/.wine/drive_c on one
machine shows 11,725 items, totaling 6.1 GB -- while /home/btth/.wine/
dosdevices on the same machine has 391,165 items, totaling 30.5 GB (some
contents unreadable).

	Also, if I look at /home/btth/.wine/drive-c and /home/btth/.wine/
c:, their contents appear to be identical -- in this case, I *think*,
because I'm looking at the same thing from different angles. Is that
right, at least? It would be a comfort not to be mistaken at all points,
as Gandalf assures Gimli in the eaves of Fangorn.

	Be that as it may, there has to be a lot of something in my .wine
folder that it would be better off without. Is there any straightforward
way to seek and destroy that, without endangering the data I have added?