[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

Scott drmemory at 3rivers.net
Mon Mar 8 10:53:37 CST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 08:29:01PM -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> >> Also, please advise as to the program you are trying to get working.
> >>

> > It is the 'Drake' tax preparation program.
> >
> > I mentioned before that, when it first starts up there is an error
> > window titled "DWIN.DLL" which says 'Disabling Menus. 5=Access
> > Denied'. With an 'OK' button which, when clicked, lets me log in to
> > the program.
> >
> Is there a particular requirement that you use this and only this tax
> program?

Well, the company I work for has used this program for years, and so
has 1,000 or more client data files 'invested' in its continued
use. Not to mention the screaming which would result if the
secretaries had to learn new tricks. Until 4 years ago, they released
a DOS version along with the windoze one, which worked perfectly under
dosemu. But someone decided to go single-platform.

> I would be very suspect if a company states "Our legitimate dll has the
> same name as that of a virus."  I would be asking them to change the
> name.  It really is not that hard to do so.

I am in contact with one of the support staff who runs linux at
home. He has promised to see what he can do. If I hear back from him,
I'll mention the name change....

Scott Swanson