[Wine] Re: Wine Gecko install notification

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 8 18:37:46 CST 2010

Sven wrote:
> This was discussed on wine-devel some time ago, and the conclusion was that no one should ever want this. Not even developers. A suggestion made to Dan was to use this:
>
> $ WINEDLLOVERRIDES=mshtml= wine cmd /C echo test
>
> For running cmd. This disables mshtml though.
>
> Wine without gecko is considered as a broken wine install, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to put gecko somewhere on your hard drive.
>
> P.S. I'm kinda drunk, so I probably shouldn't post this, because it can contain total crap, but I'm just trying to help you out.

thanks for the help...

This isn't for normally running Wine.  If it was just a normal install on the hard drive for 1 person it wouldn't matter as much, though it still does...

I'm trying to get rid of the message because its super annoying on how I'm building Wineskin (wineskin.sourceforge.net).  Every time a Wine version is changed for testing, a wineprefix is copied, or a finished wrapper is copied out for an export... Wine always prompts about Wine gecko. 99% of the things that will be run in Wineskin do not need gecko.

the wineprefix is inside of a Mac .app, and every program has its own (usually).  For programs that do not need gecko, installing Gecko into the prefix wastes 30mb per .app (from 10mb prefix to a 40mb prefix).... when you have 15 apps (mostly games) thats 450mb being wasted of Gecko install files that are never used...

I realize I'm using Wine a a rather non-standard way... but even for people that use multiple wineprefixes on their own, to install gecko into all of them is a big waste of space.