[Wine] Re: New to wine -- some problems.

hellork wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 9 01:31:57 CST 2010

Greetings,

I am a fellow wine user running Fedora, which, like Ubuntu, uses pulseaudio as the primary sound server. I cannot be bothered with questions about Ubuntu, but I have been dealing with this issue for a while, so I can volunteer some information that may help.

Wine does not have an official pulseaudio driver, but Ubuntu may have included one. I would be interested to know if they did. The driver is experimental and incomplete. For one, it does not have any mixer controls, so it may not work with chat programs or dictation software that wants to set microphone levels or anything like that, but it should work for most games.

You may run winecfg and choose the pulseaudio driver, if present.

If pulseaudio is not present, either disable pulseaudio or install Ubuntu's pulseaudio alsa plugin so alsa applications (wine) will have sound. This link explains how to do that:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

When that's done, run winecfg and set wine's audio driver to alsa. Good luck. Please report back with your results and maybe somebody else can help you.

Remember to include a subject in your forum posts. These messages are copied and mailed out to everybody on the list.