[Wine] Re: Sound & Video PP07

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 9 08:43:18 CST 2010

roderakker wrote:
> I did just that, but still no sound or video. What I did was I took l3codeca.acm and made a link to it called winemp3.acm, both within the sys32 folder in /.wine which had been one of your tips on another post. I do have the libmpg123 aswell. Also, sound works perfectly fine when testing it in the Wine config, and when playing mp3 & wmv files in any of the default ubuntu video/music programs.  [Rolling Eyes] I know I'm quite the inexperienced Linux user but I'm really hoping I can fix this. Afterall, I picked this as my asignment to get familiar in Linux... Windows just gets so annoying, and this is quite a challenge. Keeps me entertained, too!
>
> Thanks.

Does sound work in other Wine apps (not just the test in winecfg)?
Do Powerpoint's bultin sound effects work? (Test by adding a sound effect to the slide transition.)
If the answer to the above two questions is no, sound is not properly set up. Since you're on Ubuntu, the most likely culprit is Pulseaudio. Disable it.
If the answer to the above two questions is yes, are you sure the sound inserted in the file is mp3/wav? That is the only codec/container for inserted sound that I can verify works in Powerpoint in Wine.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about sound only, not sound in a video. I doubt video will work at all.