[Wine] Spam

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 16 07:16:00 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 05:43 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> Gert van den Berg wrote:
> > How does the same spammer get to post more messages after its first
> > messages have been deleted? Any reason why spam forum accounts are not
> > simply banned, IPs blocked on IPTABLES, etc after a single spam post?
> >
> > (The relevant user havew 2 non-deleted messages on the forum and 6 in
> > total (which are all somewhere wasting space in my mailbox...))
>

> I've deleted the messages, but I don't have the power to ban accounts.

Is it possible to put a spam filter in the loop? Something like:

Forum postings ---------+
mail from mail list-----+

                      spamfilter
                        |     |
                       ham  spam
                        v     |
forum web server <------+     v
mail list <-------------+    silently deleted

There has to be a central switch which sees all incoming messages or
forum posts couldn't appear on the mail list and vice versa. It should
be possible to add in a spam filter at this point, but it would be nice
for somebody who understands the system to confirm that.

Martin