[Wine] World of Warcraft - Screen Tearing

khormin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 23 16:22:09 CDT 2010

Hello! First forum post here go!

Using Ubuntu 9.10, WINE 1.0.1 (system keeps locking on trying to add the ppa for the development version). i3 system w/ higher-end nVidia card. I'm using the restricted drivers, ensured they're not the 'broken' ones that cause fan failure.

I've taken the time to add a registry key for Direct3D, and am making sure that the system is using OpenGL rather than piling it over DirectX as it is normally wont.

The system is eating WoW in maximum settings without having to pause for dessert, but for an error that keeps arising in areas of high population / multiple 'zone loading'.

The error takes form as 'shards' of color radiating out at random, though only within the graphics region of the game; my user interface (a layer series over the top of the graphics) is unaffected. Reloadui (a command to reset the game as though you have just freshly logged in) does nothing to affect the issue (it logs you back in with the same torn graphics), but a full shut-down and restart of WINE removes the issue until it arises next.

Unfortunately, running it in terminal to produce a log file hasn't given me any clues; included in the next post will be the results of that file. I'm new to Linux (fresh from Windows a week ago), but have picked up the basics and have a background with computers; if there's anything else I can do to help flesh out this issue, let me know. And thanks if you can help.

It seems to be the same issue as here: http://forum.winehq.org/viewforum.php?f=2