[Wine] Re: Cannot install MS office

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 25 16:24:51 CDT 2010

mno wrote:
> I cannot install MS office under wine 1.1.41
> I get the error
> wine: Call from 0x7b836483 to unimplemented function rpcrt4.dll.I_RpcExceptionFilter, aborting
>
> Installation wizard starts fine, error appears after clicking on
> "install now"
>
> Changing rpcrt4.dll for a new windows one did not help.
>
> Somewhere in the net is the suggestion to restart wine from scracth
> on a new tree by renaming .wine to .wine_old
> I don't think I can do that, I have other functioning packages that
> would then be lost.
> Some help?

Installs fine here in 1.1.41 in a clean wineprefix. Sounds like you've messed up your wineprefix with unnecessary overrides. None are needed to install Office 2007, and native rpcrt4.dll iis not compatible with current Wine.

Whether you like it or not, you need to install to a clean wineprefix. You won't lose anything by renaming ~/.wine. Just edit menu and desktop links to reflect the new name. Alternatively, keep ~/.wine for your old stuff and create a new wineprefix just for Office. I have mine installed to ~/office2007. Follow the instructions here for creating multiple wineprefixes: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-faf9617c53607e583f6e6ff70a4ac9522d490faf