[Wine] Comm Ports

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Mar 27 13:04:07 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 12:25 -0500, dsmithnc wrote:
> How do you go about configuring comm ports in Wine?  I have a usb to
> serial adapter that is using ttyUSB1 under linux.  The program I want
> to use under wine shows only the standard Windows comm ports; i.e,
> com1, com2, etc.  How can I redirect those to ttyUSB1?

It seems to depend on the adapter. I have one I got from pFranc (the GPS
connector guy) that works perfectly under Linux but Wine has never been
able to see it. Defining it as COM3 with the commands

	cd .wine/dosdevices
	ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 COM3:

might work for you though it never did for me.

Instead I bought a PCI 6-way serial card, plugged it in and Wine uses it
without any complaints. These cards are pretty cheap, no more expensive
than a USB->serial adapter, and most distros can use them without
needing any drivers, etc. As mine has four D-9 connectors I just use the
two serial ports on the mother board and the first four on the PCI card.
I'd need a separate adapter plate for the extra two ports but am out of
adapter slots. If you do this you need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to
add

   8250.nr_uarts=6

to the kernel command line. Add it to the first kernel in the menu and
it will be automatically copied each time there's a kernel upgrade.
However, if you do a clean install you need to remember to add it to
grub.conf

Once I'd made that edit my Win application reported seeing COM1 - COM6
without any other changes being needed and they worked immediately.

Martin