[Wine] Installing, "c compiler cannot create exectuables", Mac OSX

Ryan Woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 22:27:55 CDT 2010

>Cavet:  XCode 3.2.1 is for Snow Leopard (10.6) only.  What version of
>MacOSX are you running?

No caveat.  He's running Snow Leopard.  From the OG's post:

> > Hey. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.2
> > uname -m = i386
> > uname -r = 10.2.0
> > uname -s = Darwin
> > uname -v = Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386

Darwin 10.2 == Mac OS X 10.6.2

>gcc 3.3 can build i386 code (it was included with many versions of
>Fedora), but the XCode versiont that included it did not build universal
>binaries very well.

GCC version anything can obviously build x86 code on Linux since that's what the original target for GCC was.  However, as you know we're talking about Mac OS X on Intel machines in this thread.  GCC 3.3 cannot produce x86 code or PPC+x86 universal binaries on any version of Mac OS X.  Targeting apps for OS X 10.4 and higher - as well as building for Intel Macs - requires GCC 4+:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/GCC40PortingReleaseNotes/Articles/PortingToGCC.html