[Wine] finding or creating ~/.wine folder (Snow Leopard problem)

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 28 14:37:27 CDT 2010

hobbsilla <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Damn it still gave me the same error message. Snow Leopard makes wine so much more complicated.
>I used my Macports (the most recent one 1.8.2) in my terminal to install it. I had to do
>enforce-variants (with +universal at the end) for about 10 or 12 different items individually
>to finally get the wine-devel to build. Wine is up to date and everything.

This is not a MacPorts issue per-se, but rather a known problem with building 32 bit programs on Snow Leopard.  You did exactly what is needed to build 32 bit variants.  This is one of the reasons I have not switched from Leopard, as Leopard builds are 32 bit.

>If you know how to do a more "proper" Snow Leopard install can I get a link? I've gone to 5
>different sites/blog posts attempting to explain it. There is very limited documentation on
>this from what I can gather.

You stated you have WineBottler.  The builds for it are done on Leopard (maybe even Tiger) and are completely 32 bit and require no external programs.

The only other suggestion is to completely remove WineBottler AND MacPorts Wine and rebuild Wine from MacPorts with the +universal variant.

As to why your .wine is not working, I suggest looking at WineBottler first to see if the bottle exists in it.  If it does, delete it from there and then attempt to run

wine winecfg from terminal to see if the bottle will be recreated.  In my testing with WineBottler, no Wine bottle was corrupted using it.

Hopefully, this will fix the problem.

James McKenzie