[Wine] finding or creating ~/.wine folder (Snow Leopard problem)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 28 18:31:00 CDT 2010

doh123 wrote:
> hobbsilla wrote:
>
>> Oh thank you James! Its working now. I'll just have it on my Desktop instead just so long as a I get access to it. I assume if I wanted to I could rename and possible put it in my home directory and change the prefix at a later time correct?
>>

> if you can write to your desktop, but not your home folder.. you need to fix your permissions, they are really messed up.  You can try repair permissions in Disk Utility first... then get Info on your home folder and make sure you have full read/write

That was the implication of the test.  If Hobbsilla could not write to
the Desktop, something is very wrong.

hobbsilla:  Please open the hard drive object on the Desktop and then
select your user name.  Right click and select Get Info.  The user MUST
have read/write to their own home directory.  If this is 'broken' by
only having read permissions, you will have to correct this as a system
administrator type user (and this applies to all users on any Mac.)
Click on the lock in the right hand bottom corner, and a dialog will
open.  Type in the name and password for a user with system
administrator level access.  Click on the OK button.  Click on
permissions to the right of the user name and then change this to
write/read.  Click on the lock to save and make further changes not
possible.  After doing this attempt to create a new Wine bottle by
typing in:

wine winecfg.

You should not get the error message anymore.

James McKenzie
Thank you doh123 as well.