[Wine] Re: finding or creating ~/.wine folder (Snow Leopard problem)

hobbsilla wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 28 22:14:34 CDT 2010

@James

I have restored file permissions on my harddrive at least three times today and even rebooted my computer but still no luck. Google searches do not come up with results on how to restore file permissions to the home directory unless it has something to do with moving/cloning your home directory to a new computer (which does not apply to me).

Their isn't any type of terminal command line I can use that forcibly creates a directory anywhere in my UNIX system that isn't $sudo mkdir ./wine? The wine directory won't make itself on its own in a Guest account as well.

@doh123

I promise you /.wine does not exist on my computer. I searched how to look for hidden files and .wine simply does not exist anywhere on my computer especially in the home directory.

Again the error message I get whenever I try to run a Wine app (after closing out of the terminal and reopening it using the method James described) is the following:

Code:
wine ~/path/$appname.exe
wine: chdir to /Users/elixir/.wine
: No such file or directory

I installed Wine using the Macports. I installed the Macports using a .dmg file that puts it in the default location of /opt/local/etc etc etc.

When I use the terminal to chdir to /usr/bin, a directory named wine isn't present, but even more interesting when I type in $which wine in the terminal it tells me its in /opt/local/bin/wine but when I chdir to that it also says its [the wine folder] not an existing directory. Does this help at all for you guys?

I am not using sudo for any of these commands (with the exception of $sudo port install wine-devel back when I was building Wine). I only was using $sudo mkdir thinking it would forcibly make /.wine in hopes that Wine would finally work but again, it didn't.