[Wine] Re: Wine & Windows viruses

Patrick70 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 30 05:40:11 CDT 2010

Hmmmm, but that post was written back in 2005.
Plus it is based on you actually running the virus.
What I would like to know is whether it is safe to run Wine, meaning that if you just have Wine running (and in my caee, Mailwasher within Wine), would there by any chance of my system getting infected with a Windows virus?

For example, if I put a Windows exe on my Ubuntu desktop and click it, Wine will run it. Suppose it was a virus, then it would be executed as well, albeit probably just within the Wine environment.
Now, suppose I am surfing and come across a site (without my knowledge) which has malware etc... would this cause my system to get infected as well or would I be safe?