[Wine] Re: Wine & Windows viruses

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 30 07:05:32 CDT 2010

Patrick70 wrote:
> Now, suppose I am surfing and come across a site (without my knowledge) which has malware etc... would this cause my system to get infected as well or would I be safe?

Create a new wineprefix and sandbox it (meaning remove all references to / and /home/username), then run anything you don't trust in only that wineprefix... If it's a virus, you'll know quickly enough and you can clean up that wineprefix.

Generally, though, risk for getting a virus is VERY low. Especially since apps can't be launched right from your browser, it'll need your permission to download and run files.