[Wine] bypassing winsxs

mraeryceos wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 3 15:30:30 CDT 2010

This has not to do with Wine, so I apologize, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask about reverse engineering windows.

I have a history of removing components from Windows, and disabling services, to simplify Windows and speed things up.

I want to install Windows 7 onto FAT32 (and I have), however, FAT32 has a limit to how many folders/objects can be stored in a single folder.  WinSXS stores too many thousands of them.

I would like to know if there is a way to bypass the use of WinSXS, even for new installations that may be "componentized" with manifests.

Thank you