[Wine] Half-Life 2 crashing with Wine 1.1.43 on Ubuntu 10.4

Bright-Warrior wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 4 12:48:01 CDT 2010

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and also to Linux. I hope this problem is not caused by my lack of knowledge, but I would guess not. Hopefully^^.

As the title says, I try to play Half-Life 2 with Wine, which is listed as platinum in the Appdb, so I expected no problems. But unfortunately, the game is crashing when I want to start a new game. I see the loading bar filling, but when it's almost done, the game crashes. Here is the console output, as far as I could reach it:

Code:
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fbfd8: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fc1d0: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fc368: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fc500: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fc698: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x193fc830: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
[...]
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x51c04500: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x51c046b8: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x51c04840: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
fixme:d3d_surface:IWineD3DSurfaceImpl_LoadLocation 0x51c049c8: Downloading rgb texture to reload it as srgb
err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1060 bytes in thread 0042 eip 7bc3ed28 esp 00230f0c stack 0x230000-0x231000-0x330000
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 0047, blocked by 0042, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 003c, blocked by 0042, retrying (60 sec)
Terminated

I killed the process in the end as you can see, it was listed as "Zombie".

I did use winetricks before to get "The Path" running though. But I just downloaded the "d3dx9_36.dll" and limited this overriding to this game only.

I have a ATI RAdeon HD 4870 as GPU and the catalyst 10.4 (the driver the was included in Ubuntu 10.4).

I hope someone can help me. If you need to know any further details, I would be glad to offer them.