[Wine] Any hope for gaming?

fsleeman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 7 16:13:28 CDT 2010

I haven't tried Wine for a couple years and wanted to get an idea what is the state of gaming in Wine. My only real question is if there is any hope of practical gaming under Wine. I have done some gaming with Wine and even with the semi-commercial Cedega with mediocre results at best. Games 4-5 years old seem to work ok but most modern games would have unplayable performance.

I know there are a lot of tricks that can be used to improve performance, but when a game runs at 10 FPS in Wine out of the box compared to 50+ in Windows, I am not even going to bother to try to fix it. Has anybody done "real" benchmarks on a documented hardware setup? What kind of performance (out of the box vs. customized) can be expected? Is there any quantitative and reproducible evidence that good performance for current games can be achieved?