[Wine] How to fix the SSL/https problem?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 15:04:03 CDT 2010

Schuttwegraeumer wrote:
> James Mckenzie wrote:
>
>> The stable version is over 1 1/2 years old.
>> There are many bug fixes in the unstable.
>> but most importantly:  We asked them to do it.
>>
>> We don't take bug reports on Wine 1.0.1 anymore and the response you will receive is to move to the unstable and then test again.
>>
>> Now to what I ASKED YOU TO DO:  Conduct a regression test with the current version and the last known good version.  This will point out what piece of code that was added to Wine that caused this function to stop working.  Then a developer (or two) can start fixing it.  Without the test, it is a long painful and not likely to happen fix.
>>
>> Remember, most of us out here are volunteers, working on this project in what little spare time we have to fully create a Windows32 and Windows64 API that allows you to run your favorite programs on Linux/UNIX.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> I am debugging a checkinstall problem at the moment.
> thats important for the test with wine because i will NEVER make a "make install".

Hmmm.  All make install does is move the files from your build directory
to the /usr directory structure so it is NOT NECESSARY to use it to run
a home-brewed wine build.

> Installing without using the APT system is not allowed on my system.
> I think howtos with "make install" in it should be prohibited by law :)

Certainly they can be misleading.  Remember, most how-tos make assumptions.
> PS: I cannot belief that i am the only user with SSL Problems

I have not been able to get a good Wine build on my Mac.  No, I don't
want to install through MacPorts nor Fink.  They make removing and
reverting builds a massive headache and don't operate per MacOSX best
practices.  Zach Drayer used to build an installer that did de-install
and Mike Kronenberg had run into problems making Wine 1.1.43.  Also, I
am building custom builds to test some code that will fix about six or
seven programs (most notably the Print Preview for a few programs, like
Word.)

So, you don't need to 'make install' to test a custom or regression build.

And using apt might be a 'good thing' but then again it has been known
to break things as well.  No program is perfect.

James McKenzie