[Wine] Portal crashes when I click new game.

Dystopianfr33k wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 14 14:16:27 CDT 2010

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 with the newest version of Wine.  I'm relatively new to Linux, but I do understand the basics of terminal.  I have Portal installed on the Steam platform in Ubuntu through Wine, and when I open it, it all starts up beautifully, but when it gets to the main menu, some objects are missing in the background and you can see some glitched up areas.  Then, when I click new game, it loads fully and then simply crashes.  I am running the game with -windowed and -directx 81 switches.  I have a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz processor, a 256 Mb, slightly low-end video card (it still will play Portal at medium quality on Windows).

Is there any way I can configure either the game or Wine so that it will run?