[Wine] Re: Wineboot: useless dialog

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 16 00:29:07 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> sotel wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I wonder about something, which disturb me:
> > thisone (wineboot.c):
> >
> > Code:
> > static INT_PTR CALLBACK wait_dlgproc( HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp )
> > {
> > switch (msg)
> > {
> > case WM_INITDIALOG:
> >

> > Why is this there?
> >

> Maybe because some Windows programs expect it to be there?
>

> > I'm still dedicated to the UNIX philosophy: If there is no error, be quit.
> > I didn't like that wine is getting more and more this verbiage used in windows.
> >

> You must not understand, oh young one, that Wine is a COMPLETE
> implementation of the Windows 32 (and now Windows 64) API, bugs and
> problems.  We cannot and will not 'choose and pick' what functionality
> that will or will not be built into this project.  Microsoft already did
> this for us.
>
> > A car brake wrote:
> >

> > > You just push the brake. You really want to slowdown your speed? Press OK or Cancel
> > >

> If that happens, I'll crash the car.
>

> > Please, please, let this things away. Do wine in a chaste and simple way.
> >

> No.  Please read my comment above.  Wine IS NOT LINUX/UNIX.  Wine IS THE
> WINDOWS API.  They are and will not be the same.
>
> James McKenzie

Personally I agree with the original poster, it's an annoying dialog.  If nothing is wrong why do I need to see it?

James, it makes no sense for a windows program to expect a dialog from wineboot.  It has nothing to do with compatibility.  I would wager it's there so that users understand something is happening in the background.