[Wine] Re: New Linux/Wine User Needs Help!

tf4545 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 21 09:26:49 CDT 2010

Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 13:55, tf4545 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Wine with Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Laptop.  I installed Wine using the Ubuntu Software Center and am using 1.1.42.  I have 'installed' Adobe Reader, Firefox, IE 8 and Business Plan Pro from Palo Alto Software.
> >
> > Firefox will start and run, IE 8 will not fully execute, Adobe Reader gives an error for Wine C++ Runtime error and Biz Plan Pro gives an Active X error 429.
> >
> > Prior to upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 I had the same software configuration listed above and had no problems with any of the Windows applications running in Wine...
> >
> > I know this is a long list but I'm stuck and could use some help.
> >
> > Much Appreciated!
> >

> Why are you running Firefox under wine? There is a native Linux version...
> As for IE, you could try ies4linux, but I haven't had much success with it.
> Your best option would probably be sthg like VMWare or virtualbox...
>
> BTW, there's a native acroread package, although it might be somewhat
> old (search for "lucid ppa acroread" or sthg similar).
> In any case, it should not be needed since there's a PDF (+ other
> formats) viewer in Ubuntu: evince (named "Document Viewer" IIRC), but
> YMMV.
>
> Frédéric

I should have included that the business planning software requires Reader and a browser installed for supportive measures.  I too have Reader and Firefox in Linux but they need to be part of the Wine Applications for dependencies dictated by Business Plan Pro.  I am also looking at Virtual Box and I think that is the way to go.  Thanks for the reply!